Sep 25, 2007

A well spent day.



I marked another year today; I try to keep these days low-key.

I am less about building a big event and more about enjoying and having a good day. It’s a lot easier to have a great day when the weather is as glorious as it was today. Sunny and very warm (I think we crested 85°) it was the kind of day that hinted more at summer than the onset of fall.

I don't like fall so much because I’m not really crazy about the cold weather or the shorter days. The baseball season ends soon and I find nothing provides as wonderful a backdrop to the day as a ballgame on the radio. So, it’s not any one thing but a bunch of things that make me like September less.

Still, today was beautiful!

And since I was marking another year and I keep trying to stress in life how important it is to continue to do new things, it was time to go for the inaugural ride on the new scooter. Admittedly, I was a little nervous. I didn’t want to be out riding the thing in heavy traffic but I did want to ride it and I had put of riding it for over a week now since it was delivered.

So, riding today was going to be my treat - a bit of a gift to myself.

And I rode over 33 miles! And it was WAAAAYYYYYY FUUUUUNNNNN!

I’m still learning and I will take it easy on the thing, I’ve no desire to injure myself - although I did fall off the thing already. I kind of think of the falling as a good thing, I didn’t hurt myself but it was a good reminder of how much I could hurt myself if I’m not careful. Still the thing is perfect for what I need it for! All those small errands around town to the post office, to the supermarket, to get the paper are just much more fun when done riding the scooter.

Plus, the weather being so nice and all, riding around the back roads up here is such a treat. Everything is so very beautiful! I enjoyed it so much, I had a stupid smile plastered to my face throughout most of the ride and couldn’t help myself with the occasional celebratory laugh - that’s a recipe for a good day in my book!

No comments: